Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Neil Smith


I picked this 7" EP up at a recent record show in the cheap bin. The cover is great - the Kool-Aid man punked out with a brew. There's even a shout out to the Jaks on the bottom of his board (which happens to have lemon wheels). This is a perversion of early-'90s Kool-Aid lemonade packaging (seen here). This record was released in 1994 on Exit Records out of New York. I wasn't really sure what to expect on this one. Neil Smith's backing band is noted on the back as being Vicious Power. The only info I can find on them says they're a thrash metal band (but I couldn't find a sample). That is unfortunately not what's going on here. All 4 songs are pretty cheesy hard rock with some over the top lyrics (particularly Katshit Kowboy with its "pussy snatcher" chorus). What I could find out about Neil Smith, in addition to being Vicious Power's regular singer, is that he was in a handful of punk bands around the time this was released so I think it is supposed to be parody but I'm not entirely sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment