Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Action Is Go


There's something about driving in summer that makes me want to listen to Fu Manchu. In 1997 they followed up 2 great albums (1995's Daredevil and 1996's In Search Of...) with their 4th album, The Action Is Go. The cover features a classic Glen E. Friedman photo of Tony Alva pulling a frontside air with headphones bandana'd on in the Dogbowl back in 1977. The back cover has a trippy photo of a '70s era OJ wheel. I first heard this album on CD about 10 years ago. It was my first introduction to stoner rock and I quickly explored Fu Manchu's back catalog as well as checking out the genre in general. About 5 years ago I found a copy of the 2LP at a punk rock flea market in DC for $5. I didn't realize when I picked it up that it was a pretty expensive record though it has since been reissued with a gatefold sleeve.


No comments:

Post a Comment